The five key trends I will be focusing on come under the umbrella of Retail design. They are:-
- Experience Design trends: Some areas worth observing are the rise of pop-ups, the slow living culture and creating multi-sensorial brand experiences.
- Consumer Lifestyle trends
- Package Design trends: Some key areas to observe are Synesthesia and Materials.
- Graphic Design trends: Some key areas to observe are Colours, typography and Photography.
- E-Commerce//Digital trends: Some key areas to observe are use of chatbots, Biometric retail, AR/VR/MR technologies.
In order to keep track of upcoming trends in the above mentioned categories, I will be mapping my evidence by maintaining a weekly trend journal (Research by Design). The trend forecasting (Research Into Design) websites I will be closely following are
- Google Hot Trends
- JWT Intelligence
- The Cool Hunter
- The Next Big Thing
- Trend Hunter
- WGSN Insider
- The Dieline
- David Report
- Josh Spear
Over a period of 8 weeks I hope to achieve the following objectives:
- Identify trend clusters
- Identify and analyse the following groups:
- Trend Innovators
- Trend Drivers
- Trend Impact
- Trend Consequences
- Trend Futures
3. Conduct Interviews with Futurologists and Trend Forecasting Experts in the retail industry.